Charlotte Stewart (Miss Beadle) Exclusive Interview!
Fans would like to take the time out to thank Charlotte Stewart for
her exclusive interview she gave us. Hope you all enjoy!
1. What was it like to be on Little House?
I absolutely loved being on the Walnut Grove set when we were shooting in Simi Valley. It really was like stepping into the old west. I felt so comfortable in the clothes and playing the part of a teacher to the children. My godmother Pauline Wilkie was actually a teacher in a one room schoolhouse in Mendocino California.
2. Before you got the role as Miss Beadle had you ever read the Little House books?
I didn't read the books until after I had been cast as Miss Beadle. The first book I picked up was at a swap meet and in the first chapter the dog died and Mary went blind! I thought "What am I doing?"
3. Did you enjoy working with the cast and crew?
The crew had been with Michael for many years (through Bonanza) and it was very much like being a part of the family. Although in the 25 years since I have been on the series I have lost track of many and we have lost so many (our dear Larry Germaine (hairstylist) and Whitey Schnider (make-up) and of course Michael.
4. Were the kids easy to work with on the set?
All the kids were easy to work with. It has been such a joy to see them grow up into such wonderful adults. I am very proud of them all.
5. What was the atmosphere like on the Little House set?
As I said before, it was like a family. Michael set the
tone. There were so many children and parents around, we always had fun. I miss it very much.
6. What, if any, affect did your role as Miss Beadle have on your career over the years? Are you still associated with or recognized from being on the show?
In the early years it didn't have much effect. Now with the many years of re-runs I am recognized a lot. The fans who watched in the beginning are now grown up with children of their own and really appreciate the quality we provided.
7. Who would you say on the set made the biggest impression on you personally?
Without a doubt it was Mike. There are many who say he had a big ego but I saw a man who loved his family and wanted to make a difference in the quality of television for families.
8. Do you have a favorite episode?
"Here Come the Brides"
9. Playing a school teacher on Little House, did you ever feel like you where a real teacher? Ever had any thoughts of becoming a real teacher like your character Miss Beadle?
Yes, I did feel like a real teacher and the children treated me with respect. But my first love is acting and I never entertained the idea of becoming anything else.
10. If a Little House Reunion was to be made what do you think Miss Beadle would be up to?
Miss Beadle would be a grandmother by now (As I am) and would be happily retired.
A note to the fans:
Thank you for all the years of faithful watching. If we really want quality television shows we must let the networks know! Write to them and ask for the kind of show you want. That's what makes the difference!
Webmasters Note: Interview was done on October 07, 2003.