Danielle Ryan Chuchran (Mary Ingalls) Exclusive Interview!
Hi Dani! Thanks for taking the time to be interviewed about your new
role as Mary Ingalls on ABC's Little House On The Prairie series.
1. First, let me start off by saying congratulations for landing the role of Mary Ingalls! How was the audition process for Mary Ingalls? Was it very competitive?
Thanks! I understand ABC had been auditioning for several weeks for the part of Mary, and I was very fortunate to have just the look they wanted and the personality to match. We had several mix and match sessions to finally put the whole family together.
2. Reading your biography, you have done a lot in your career already for such a young age. Even starring as "Thing One" in "The Cat in the Hat" based on the classic books by Dr. Seuss. How did you get into the business?
I started out by being in Hawaiian Beauty pageants and doing some print work. My agent sent me out on a few auditions and I booked them and she said this is what I should be doing. After filming Little Secrets with Evan Rachel Wood and Vivica Fox and doing Cat in The Hat I decided this was really fun and wanted to continue. I love meeting new people and making new friends.
3. Where do you see your career in five years?
In 5 years I would like to do a movie like King Arthur. That is my favorite movie and I have been practicing archery just in case.
4. Before landing your role as Mary Ingalls, had you ever read the books by Laura Ingalls Wilder or seen the TV series starring Michael Landon?
Yes, my mom still watches all of the Little House reruns. I read the books and loved them. It was so fun getting to play a character I had seen on TV for so long and loved.
5. What was filming like on Little House?
Little House was the most fun I have ever had. Canada was beautiful, but really cold, and I made so many new friends there. It was so fun being around the horses and dogs every day! The director, David Cunningham, and the producer, Hans Proppe, were the 2 greatest people in the world to work for. I love my new family, Pa, Cameron Bancroft, Ma, Erin Cotrell, and Laura, Kyle Chavarria. We still keep in touch and talk on the phone.
6. What were the costumes like? fun to wear?
As for the costumes, I am not much of a dress person so having to wear one everyday was not my first choice. They were really hot and sometimes itchy with the petticoats and thick wool socks. But I guess the girls back then didn't get to wear pants.
7. Melissa Sue Anderson played the role of Mary Ingalls for eight years. As a young actress, how do you feel about playing the role of Mary Ingalls that so many people have set an image of? Are you scared that people might compare you with Melissa Sue Anderson?
I loved watching Melissa Sue Anderson play Mary. She was perfect for the older sister, I just hope people think I did a good job as well playing Kyles big sister. It was an honor to be able to play this role.
Webmasters Note: Interview was done on May 15, 2005.